Artificial Biology, Robotics and Art (ABRA) is about creating knowledge across artificial
biology, robotics, art and design for enhanced sustainability.
The project cultivates transdisciplinary knowledge and capacity building in higher education.
Through hands-on workshops and training, educators and learners work on tackling the skills gaps
and mismatches within our disciplines while addressing the climate goals. In this entanglement,
new questions, new ideas, new solutions are generated.
Artificial biology, robotics & art
Through transdisciplinary teaching and training, ABRA facilitates the exchange of sustainable
best practices that foster creativity and innovation while developing a shared language that
prepares students and teachers to tackle complex problems and solutions relevant in the
‣ create new pathways for art + science + engineering-driven creativity and innovation for
‣ tackle skills gaps and mismatches in higher education & research by promoting
transdisciplinary knowledge exchange
‣ address environmental issues and climate change by establishing an ongoing, multi-sector
dialogue about concrete sustainable actions
‣ empower students & researchers to develop new processes, technologies, and methods of applying
existing technology towards sustainable solutions.
‣ Aalborg University’s (AAU) Research Laboratory for Art and Technology
(RELATE) and Human-Robot
Interaction Lab focus on human-centered approaches and solutions for robots across
health and the arts.
‣ The Department CIBIO at University of Trento (CIBIO)
classical cellular and
molecular biology approaches with the new powerful tools of systems and synthetic biology.
‣ Aalto University (AALTO) Art Department offers students access
emerging knowledge and
practices at the intersection of multiple fields through an arts-driven engagement with
political, ecological and philosophical concerns and artistic approaches to
‣ The Institute of Advanced Design Studies (ADES) is a
independent school of design
for sustainability hosting a uniquely built transdisciplinary postgraduate study programme. We
bridge science and technology with the needs in society and environment through design. ADES
works with a wide range of international experts in researching and teaching new methods in
design for sustainability.
Upcoming activities to create new pathways for
art + science + engineering-driven creativity and innovation for